The Montgomery AFCEA Chapter Education Foundation continues to extend its efforts to promote IT integration in classrooms across the River Region as well as to recognize hardworking students and teachers through a variety of scholarships, grants and other distinguished awards.
The mission of the Foundation is to support development of engineers and technical personnel through selective motivational awards, prizes and scholarships, grants for educational activities of unique and high value and professional educational programs. The Foundation actively promotes opportunities for persons from groups under-represented in the fields of its interests.
Some of the Education Foundation’s outreach activities include:
Recap of Achievements: 2013
- Raised approximately $150,000 during annual MITS Conference in 2013, plus an additional $11,700 during our annual Awards Dinner
- Over $40,000 in Chapter Initiative Grants divided among Macon County and Montgomery Public Schools
- $10,000 supporting the Robotics Program at local Wetumpka High School and Macon County Public Schools
- Over $5,000 in Science Teaching Tool Awards granted to promoted STEM-related teaching in local disadvantaged River Region schools
- Awarded $5,000 in STEM scholarships to local instructors teaching in disadvantaged schools
- Awarded $30,000 in college scholarships to local area college rising seniors
- Awarded over $15,000 to local area rising high school seniors via the High School Information Technology Internship Program (HS ITIP)
- Sponsored 7 interns at local DoD IT companies providing grants for future educational needs